Building Blocks for Kids
Are you concerned about your child’s development?
A child’s development is dependent on all sorts of factors, including genetics, personality and health. However, there are some simple indicators of developmental difficulties, which if not identified early on, can really damage a child’s self-confidence.
The OTRS Building Blocks for Kids programme is managed by Occupational Therapists who can screen and assess your child’s abilities, providing practical strategies to support their development. We can also support referrals onto relevant agencies for diagnosis. Currently we only offer this programme in the Waikato, however, we could make an arrangement on a case by case basis if you live elsewhere.
We then work with your child, yourself and their school to put Developmental Building Blocks in place, equipping them to engage successfully with their peers and the learning environment.
If you are the slightest bit concerned about your child’s co-ordination, behaviour or sensory abilities, please get in touch.
We work with children of all ages, from babies through to teens.
What to watch out for:
- Difficulty holding their pencil/pen/paint brush/crayon
- Poor scissor use and control
- Struggling to use a knife and fork
- Can’t tell left from right
- Reversal of letters and numbers
- Difficulty getting dressed or tying shoelaces
- Sensitivity to grooming, oral hygiene and bathing
- Sensitivity to touch, movement, and sound
- Enjoys excessive rough and tumble
- Poor sleep patterns, difficulty winding down
- Under/over-reaction to pain
- Often chews/sucks on clothing or other items to help concentration
- Anxiety (especially for girls)
- Delay in motor milestones - walking, crawling
- Difficulty with jumping, skipping and star jumps
- Poor ball skills, difficulty riding a bike, scooter
The benefits of Building Blocks for Kids
- Providing reassurance for you as a parent or caregiver
- Making learning fun and easier for your child
- We build on their present skill level
- Individualised and flexible approach
- We get you involved
- Can be provided to groups or individually
Our Occupational Therapists will meet with your child and yourself (parents/caregivers) at home, school or at our office to assess motor, perceptual, emotional/behavioural and sensory abilities.
The assessment is normally 1 – 2 hours. Our assessment toolkit includes simple tasks, puzzles and activities like throwing, hopping, jumping. Everything is designed to be fun and interactive, with no pressure on your child.
Developmental Building Blocks
Once we’ve identified strengths and weaknesses, we’ll build on your child’s present skill level using developmentally appropriate therapeutic activities, making the development of skills both rewarding and fun.
We specifically develop:
- Fine and gross motor skills
- Balance, stability, posture and motor control
- Handwriting and hand-eye co-ordination
- Visual processing skills
- Self-esteem, confidence and self-care skills
- Sensory diets
- Oral-motor skills
- Listening skills and auditory processing skills